Tuesday, January 22, 2008

In Quintum Novembris

Remember remember, the 5th of November
The holiday Siyu forgot
Now I'm only teasin'
But I see no reason
Why this mask shouldn't be bought.


Yes! The most unanimously asked for mask, with about 10 out of 14 notecards asking for it specifically, who would I be to not deliver as promised? And naturally a matching hat, for the whole vigilante feel.

For those folks who haven't seen the popular film by The Matrix creators, V for Vendetta, Guy Fawkes is a English folk hero who attempted to blow up Parliament on the 5th of November, 1605. He is often said to be "the only man to ever enter Parliament with honorable intentions". As a part of "The Gunpowder Plot", he and his co-conspirators intended to assassinate James the 1st of England and most of the aristocracy, and bring an end to Protestant rule. Apart from the archaic politics involved, he has been immortalized in poems and song, as well as being considered one of the top one hundred greatest people in British history.

Normally I have a policy against making masks that are a part of a character, or pop culture, since I prefer my own original designs (plus, let's not forget, avoiding copyright violations). However, Guy Fawkes is such an outstanding person in English culture I felt I could take artistic licenses where I wished, and bring a very distinctive mask my own Siyulicious flava. Plus it's just so darn fun to walk around wearing it!!

Enjoy :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the sex, Siyu.

I love it.

Adia

Anonymous said...

Now you've done an English inspired mask, don't forget that Scots around the world will celebrating Burns Night on Friday. Robert Burns wrote"My love is like a red, red rose", and you are all about roses :-)

Alyx Sands said...

Ooooh, you made me *happy* with that mask...I went and bought the hat, too, then cobbled together something like a costume, got my knife out and went on a vigilante spree...er....okay. So I just took some pics for Flickr. ;) The mask really looks fab! Soooo real!


Alyx Sands